Pininfarnia styles the last batch of Alfa Romeo Spider between 1983 to 1993. The convertible cars designed in this lot had a smoother bumper and the rear lights were slimmer. While a lot of care was taken for building great exteriors, the interiors were well-styled as well. They upgraded the Alfa Romeo Spider 2000 S3/S4 with the power-assisted steering and fuel-injected engines.
The Spider 2000 S3/S4 was known for its outrageous styling. While its competitors sported only primitive side windows, four-speed ‘box, basic carburettors and the steam engines, this convertible came with twin overhead cams, glass windows, proper dual carburettors, disc brakes, fi vespeed transmission, alloy engine. This certainly added to its cost but the convertible lovers could not get over its output.
If you are planning to invest in the iconic Alfa Romeo Spider 2000 S3/S4, here are few things that you need to look out for:
- The Spider 2000 S3/S4 are known to be sturdy however if you do not take good care it will quickly lead to general decay. So, if you are buying one from a dealer or owner, you need to carefully look for any repair or renovation. Chances are they might have undertaken bodged up repairs to sell off the convertible.
- Look out for the signs of rusting or wearing out. If there is any then you will have to look out for remedial procedures. The most common areas that people forget to check is the driver’s side foot well and spare tyre cases. Only when you check out these places, you will know if there were any repairs undertaken that did not go well.
- You will have to keep in mind that this is one of the convertible cars that is structured in a way that it needs most vetting. The front cross-member, pillars, double-skinned sills, scuttle behind its seats, inner wings, anti-roll bars etc are few of the things that you need to double check carefully.
- Experts are of the view that you should be looking out for any filler work at the door bottoms and valances, six inches up from the sills is also a space that you need to check. These are the real places where corrosion takes easily and helps you find out if the Alfa Spider was maintained well or not.
- There is no need to panic if you find any wearing or rusting once you have bought home the Spider 2000 S3/S4 – ALFA ROMEO. Most of the parts are available in market and majority of e-retail sites have it with them.
- When you are planning to work on the S3 and S4 convertibles, the Alfa experts suggest the use of superior metal. Go for the encompassing plastic bumpers so that the rot-prone valances get better protection.
- Thoroughly run a check on the panel fitting. If you lack the technical knowledge of the classic convertible get the expert on board to help you with the same. In the end, you will want the beauty to last with you forever.